lunes, 21 de noviembre de 2016

La Purísima Concepción de Nuestra Señora de Caborca


La Purísima Concepción de Nuestra Señora de Caborca
Caborca was built soon after 1694 by the Jesuit Fr. Xavier Saeta, who was later martyred and the buildings badly burned.  Repairs were made and a replacement church was established in the in early 1700s, although by 1730 Caborca was in ruin again.

Caborca was a visita of Tubutama, and between 1743 and 1749 a third church was built and then partially destroyed in the Pima Rebellion of 1751.  It became a cabecera at the time of the Jesuit expulsion in 1767, with a visita at Pitiquito.

The principal architect and builder of the mission church at Caborca was Ignacio Gaona, who was responsible for San Xavier del Bac.  Most modern architects and mission aficionados describe Caborca as less graceful than San Xavier, with a squattier appearance because its façade is four feet wider and two feet shorter than that at San Xavier.  Moreover, its towers are eleven feet shorter than San Xavier’s completed west tower.  Finally, the interior of San Xavier is larger than that of Caborca.